Nov 19 2015
With Christmas looming, it’s time to start thinking about what to get your loved ones.
To help you avoid the last-minute rush to find that all-important Christmas gift, we’ve compiled our top 5 must-have Apple products to buy this Christmas. Take a look and find the perfect present for the tech lover in your family.
- Cost: From £459 for the 16GB model and from £539 for the 64GB model
- Memory: 16GB/64GB
- Weight: 129 grams
- Display: 4.7” (diagonal) LED-backlit widescreen with Retina HD and Multi-Touch display
- Resolution: 1,334 x 750 pixel resolution at 326 ppi
For the tech-savvy person on your Christmas list, the iPhone 6 with its multitude of features is definitely a crowd pleaser.
The A8 chip and M8 motion coprocessor make the iPhone 6 so much faster than the previous model. Whether you’re using the FaceTime HD camera or the 1080p HD video recording software, you’ll notice the difference in performance.
The 8-megapixel iSight camera and five-element lens gives photos a new level of clarity and it includes handy features like Touch ID and Apple Pay. The curved design of the iPhone 6 means that, unlike the 5, it fits nicely in your hand. It’s also 0.6mm thinner than its predecessor, making it one of the slimmest designs yet.
Apple has increased the screen size from 4” on the iPhone 5 and 5S to 4.7”, giving you a bigger canvas to play with. The resolution has also been increased to Retina HD. Overall the iPhone 6 is an impressive piece of tech and it fits perfectly in your average stocking.
iPad Air 2
- Cost: From £99 for the 16GB model, from £479 for the 64GB model and from £559 for the 128GB model
- Memory: 16GB/64GB/128GB
- Weight: 437 grams / 444 grams (Wi-Fi and cellular)
- Display: 9.7” (diagonal) LED-backlit screen with Retina HD and Multi-Touch display
- Resolution: 2,048 x 1,536 pixel resolution at 264 ppi
The lightweight iPad Air 2 is a great gift for someone who’s always on the go. It’s 6.1mm thin and weighs just 437 grams. But don’t be fooled by its weight – the iPad Air 2 is very sturdy thanks to its aluminium unibody casing.
With more megapixels than an HDTV – over 3.1 million in fact – your photos and videos will look incredibly detailed on the 9.7” retina display. The powerful and efficient A8X chip makes the iPad Air 2 much more responsive than the previous model, all whilst providing a solid 10 hours of battery life.
The iPad Air 2 is lighter, 18% thinner and considerably quicker than its predecessor. The CPU is 1.4 times faster and the GPU is 2.5 times faster.
It also comes with a plethora of powerful apps as standard. So whether you’re sending emails, browsing the web or making video calls, the iPad Air 2 provides a seamless experience. Plus there are over 50,000 apps available to download from the App Store so plenty to keep the recipient busy until Boxing Day and beyond.
iPod Touch (6th generation)
- Cost: From £159 for the 16GB model, from £199 for the 32GB model, from £249 for the 64GB model and from £329 for the 128GB model
- Memory: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB
- Weight: 88 grams
- Display: 4” (diagonal) widescreen display with Multi-Touch IPS technology
- Resolution: 1,136 x 640 pixel resolution at 326 ppi
The 6th generation iPod Touch is an ideal present for any music-lovers in your family. It has many of the features of an iPhone but with a much smaller price tag. You can FaceTime your friends and family using its HD camera, take stunning 8MP photos using its iSight camera, browse the built-in apps and record 1080p HD videos.
This iPod Touch has a desktop class A8 chip with an improved graphics processing unit (GPU) meaning that your apps and videos run up to 10 times faster than the previous model. The central processing unit (CPU) has also been upgraded so you can expect the overall performance to be up to 6 times faster. But this doesn’t affect the battery life; you’re still able to listen to up to 40 hours of music and watch up to 8 hours of your favourite videos before needing to charge it. Plus you can choose from five different colours to suit even the pickiest muso.
- Cost: From £749 for 11” model and from £849 for 13” model
- Memory: 128GB/256GB
- Weight: 1.08kg /1.35kg
- Display: 11.6”/13.3” (diagonal) LED-backlit widescreen display
- Resolution: Starting from 1,366 x 768 pixels at 16:9 aspect ratio for the 11” model or 1,440 x 900 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio for the 13” model
If you’re looking for a laptop with cutting-edge tech, a heavy-duty processor and an impressive battery life, you can’t look past the MacBook Air. All of that power is encased in an incredibly thin 1.7cm unibody design that only weighs 1.08 kilos.
The MacBook Air’s fifth-generation Intel Core processor and 12-hour battery life mean that there’s no limit to what you can achieve. The compact all-flash storage available up to 512GB is 17 times faster than your average 5400-rpm notebook hard drive, which makes waiting for your laptop to load a thing of the past.
The MacBook Pro uses less power than its predecessors but still delivers the same great performance that Apple has become known for. What’s more, the Intel HD Graphics 6000 processor offers advanced performance for gaming and other graphic-intensive tasks.
Apple TV (4th generation)
- Cost: From £129 for the 32GB model and from £169 for the 64GB model
- Memory: 32GB/64GB
- Remote: Dual microphones for Siri, rechargeable battery and Glass Touch surface
- Ports: HDMI 1.4, USB-C, 802.11ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO, 10/100BASE‑T Ethernet, IR receiver and built-in power supply
- Video Format: H264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second
For a Christmas present with a difference, it’s worth considering the Apple TV. It provides a unique TV experience that the whole family will enjoy. Rather than trying to find a movie or TV show to watch, simply ask Siri to find one for you. But that’s just the start – Siri can also show you the latest sports scores, control playback and even adjust the sound settings. All you need to do is ask.
What’s more, the Glass Touch surface on the remote allows you to make intuitive selections without needing to glance downwards. You can also switch between the Apple TV’s apps with a simple double-click.
Apple learned from the problems of the previous model and have worked hard to produce an intuitive piece of kit that provides a seamless user experience. The introduction of Siri and the Glass Touch surface on the remote provides a much-needed upgrade from the 4th generation model. This might finally be a remote worth arguing over.
Looking for that perfect present to put under the Christmas tree this year? Then head on over to PriceRunner, the UK’s leading shopping comparison site, to find the best deals around.