Oct 1 2015
One of the best new features in iOS 9 is ad blocking. This enables users to block ads on their iPhone, iPad and iPod to get a much smoother iOS safari experience. Purify was one of the first ones on the market and are doing an amazing job at what they do so we thought we would show just how to use all of the features.
How to enable and install Purify on iOS 9
- Download the Purify app from the app store.
- Go into the settings app after you have installed the app.
- Tap on the settings for Safari.
- Look for content blockers a little ways down.
- Hit the Purify option to enable the ad blocker on Safari
The content blocker will work just like this right out of the box. However, there are some other options you may want to be aware of.
Configure the settings in Purify ad blocker
- Open up the Purify app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on the preferences button at the bottom of it.
- At the top you will see Ads and Tracking. Click on that disable and enable the blocking of trackers and ads.
- The Social Buttons and Comments is for doing just that. Use this button to get rid of all of the social media buttons and comments that may be on the page. It’s amazing how intensive some commenting systems can be. So this is going to be a big plus if you do not comment much.
- You can also block images, scripts and fonts if you want to.
- Then you have a list of your whitelisted sites. We will cover those next.
How to whitelist sites with Purify
Whitelisting a site means that you want to view their ads still. Why would you want to do this? Well there are many very valuable websites out that provide very valuable content. For many of these sites their only source of income is the ads that you are currently blocking now. So what happens when we block all of the ads? It’s possible they could go under and not be able to keep the site up. So decide wisely on who you want to whitelist and why.
- Open the site you want to whitelist on Safari
- Now tap on the “sharing” icon.
- Then tap on the “more” menu that shows up.
- Tap on “Purify whitelist” button to add it to the menu.
- Now you can tap the “Purify whitelist” button that now shows up in the sharing menu.
- Tap on the button next to the name of the sites to whitelist them.
Once, you have done this a time or two it will become a snap. At first it took me a second to remember the steps. But now it is already becoming second nature.
My experience so far has been amazing. Sites load faster and scroll smoother. How that is possible I am not sure because I always thought it was smooth before. But you can absolutely tell that there is a huge difference between showing ads and not showing them. Once, you get it installed make sure to try out some normally heavy ad sites so you can put the Purify ad blocker to the ultimate test.
So what do you guys think of Purify so far? Is it making your browsing experience better or smoother? Or which ad blockers are you using and having good luck with? Let us know in the comments below.