Aug 24 2015
Siri is absolutely amazing. However, there are many times when using Siri just doesn’t quite cut it. For those times there is an amazing feature called Dictation. In this post we are going to go thru some of the ways you can use Dictation to it’s fullest. So if you have been wondering just how to use Dictation then this will be the perfect article for you. I know that the more I use it, the more I fall in love with this amazing feature.
First and foremost you want to make sure that you have Dictation enabled. To do that you can go to Settings > General > Keyboard, and tap the slider to on. Here is a picture below to show you what it should look like in your settings menu.
Steps on how to Dictate text on your iPad
- Start the dictation by tapping the icon.
- Talk and as you speak the Dictation will begin to transcribe your talk into text.
- When you are done top on the finished button.
- If you need to add more text after that you can hit the dictation symbol again and repeat the process.
- Check the output and if anything needs changed click back on that and fix or add to it as you need.
How to use punctuation and different formatting with text using Dictation
In order to make punctuation and formatting work you simply say what you want it to do. Here are a few examples to get you on the right track.
- Question mark – Just end the sentence saying the word question mark. Example sentence: “How do I get a question mark in dictation question mark” That would result in the following: “How do I get a question mark in dictation?”
- Caps on – Say “caps on your sentence here caps off”
- Start quote – Say “start quote your sentence end quote”
- New line – This is used to start on a new line for the next words.
- New paragraph – This is used to start a new paragraph.
- Cap – Say this capitalize the next word that you say.
- All caps – Use this to make every letter in the next word capitalized.
- No space on – Say this to combine a series of words together with no space between them.
Now that I have shown you guys how to use Dictation more effectively, do you guys think you will use it more often? Which one do you prefer, Dictation or Siri? And why did you choose that method of getting your text on your iPad? Are there other apps that you have found that work better? Comment below and let us know your methods.